What? Still pregnant? Yes that’s right….it’s still in there and it’s never coming out.
Please don’t ask me if I’ve had the baby yet, or when it’s coming. Please don’t give me any of your well-meaning advice on how to get the baby out, I know them all and I’ve tried just about every one of them. This baby ain’t coming until it’s damn well ready.
Meanwhile, I will continue to pretend that I don’t notice.
I’ll go to the beach with my first born son, and enjoy all the time with family I can. I”ll eat lots of food until I explode and then I will go to bed with the worst heartburn in history. Until this baby comes out, that is my fate.
There are things I just won’t be doing when this second baby comes around. Like hitting the beach with 20,000 other people to watch really loud jets overhead. But I will do some of this:
Until then….I’ll eat my mother’s spiciest creations, and hope for the best.
Mom’s Spicy Jambalaya
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
1 tsp oil
1 lb. chicken or turkey breast, diced
3 links dry chorizo, 2 sliced in rounds, 1 chopped
400 grams of hand peeled shrimp or prawns
6 slices bacon, diced
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 small green pepper, diced
2 jalapeno peppers or 1 serrano, deseeded and chopped
42oz can diced tomatoes
4 okra, sliced
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 heaping Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp Cajun seasoning\1 cup water
1. In a large sauté pan, heat oil to medium high.
2. Add in poultry, sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and quick fry until just cooked on the outside. Set aside.
3. In a separate large sauté pan, fry the bacon and chorizo until just beginning to cook (bacon will still be limp).
4. Add onions and peppers and cook until translucent and soft.
5. Add remaining seasoning, stir and cook until browned.