This little lady reminds me that children are just so sweet and innocent when they are brand new. They gurgle and coo and even when they are crying they can take a break and smile up at you for a second, and then back to crying. They rely solely on you for absolutely everything, even to move their arm away from their face so they stop hitting themselves. They are just so….helpless.
And then something happens and they aren’t so helpless anymore, they start asking for things and pointing things out and wiping their own……..oh sorry. You know what I mean, one day you turn around and this happens:
He likes to sit around on the computer in his underwear. You know, cause it’s like 35 degrees outside and the deck feels like it will fry your tootsies in seconds flat and the pool is full of well water that gets slimy in five minutes and the lawn hasn’t been mowed for two months because we’re too busy and so now it’s home to gargantuan mosquitoes that will carry you away. And well, we’re all redheads and we ran out of sunblock this morning, so we’re staying inside…
So he sits at the computer and watches this:
Yup…Lady Gaga. He has a thing for “Ga Ga”…as he puts it. Who doesn’t right?
What else do we do in intense heat like this but thrust our shoulders high in the air and say “Well, I’m not cooking in this heat.” Which is true for many meals these days, and this one is only a slight exception. While you do have to grill the corn, it’s on the BBQ, which is hopefully outside of your house. And there is a tiny bit of sautéing too, but only for a minute or two…Don’t hate me.
I guess what I’m trying to say is I tried to make a cold dinner and it came out warm and so much the better for it. This salad is delicious and simple and full of complex flavours that your whole family can savour as you sit outside and bask in the late evening glow. Just don’t forget to buy some sunblock.
Roasted Corn, Lima Bean and Feta Salad
19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
300 g Lima beans (fresh or frozen)
1 large cob corn
2 tbsp butter
1 large leek, sliced into half moons (white part only)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp white miso paste
125 g feta cheese
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup fresh basil leaves (packed), torn into tiny pieces or minced
1. Roast corn (husk on) on a BBQ grill on medium heat for 30-45 minutes.
2. Remove kernels from corn cob by sliding a knife (be careful!) vertically down each side until all kernels are released (or use one of these!). Place kernels in bowl and set aside.
3. Add Black beans to corn and stir.
3. Steam Lima beans for 3 minutes and add to corn and black beans.
4. In a small sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add in leek, garlic and miso paste, mashing the miso paste to mix into the butter. Sauté until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Place leek/garlic mixture into small bowl and add Dijon, olive oil and basil leaves.
6. Crumble feta into salad, toss to coat evenly and serve warm.
Similarly delicious recipes from other blogs:
White Bean Salad on 101 Cookbooks
Green Beans with Balsamic Browned Butter on Pinch My Salt
Wax and Butter Bean Herbed Salad on The Wright Recipes
Fresh Green Bean Salad with Crumbled Feta Vinaigrette on Sweetnicks
Mexican Green Bean Salad on Simply Recipes