I need a recovery.
Why do I require a recovery? Because I’ve eaten a whole cake people, the whole thing.
Remember this cake? Well, it’s gone…down my gullet. Oh, but I must have shared it right? Well, I did give a few pieces to my adoring husband, and a few random bites to my pleading, puppy dog eyed son, but the rest? Mine.
And what did I do when it started to dry out a bit from being in the fridge? I put my new found love all over it, chocolate whipped cream. That’s right, frosting AND whipped cream. The guilt was all consuming.
So then I made myself this salad and now I feel better. What could be more healthy and invigorating then a citrus based dressing drizzled over spicy greens and fluffy goat’s cheese? Nothing I tell ya, nothing! If you prefer a little protein with your salad, try prawns, shrimp or chicken, which are perfect little accompaniments to this snazzy dressing and lively coloured greens.
So next time you’re feeling slightly “guilty”, just make yourself this salad, and all will be right with the world, I promise.
Arugula Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette
For Dressing (makes about 3/4 cup):
1/2 cup blood orange juice (Juice from two large oranges)
2 Tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbsp Grey Poupon or Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Scant 1 tbsp lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
1. Combine all in small bowl and whisk until emulsified.
2. Set aside.
For the Salad:
Mix of baby arugula, baby radicchio and baby frisée lettuces
1 small carnival squash
1/2 cup pecan halves
1 avocado, diced
2 small tomatoes, diced
3 oz. crumbled soft goat’s cheese
1. Toast pecans in 375°F oven for 5-10 minutes. Check often to avoid burning. When they are done, set aside for later.
2. Split squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Spray cooking oil on a baking sheet and place squash cut side down onto tray. Bake in 375°F oven for 45-60 minutes.
3. When done, remove from oven, allow to cool slightly and cut into 1″ chunks.
4. Arrange salad: Place lettuce mix on plates, followed by cubes of squash and roasted pecans. Next lay avocado and tomatoes over. Crumble goat cheese on top and dress with blood orange vinaigrette.