Well, here I am. I’ve come to the desert (and wine country) to be with my family. When new additions arrive, it is familial obligation to congregate. Not that I didn’t want to. Who doesn’t want to meet squishy faced new comers to our lovely planet? I love babies, in all their new baby smell, tiny arms and legs, squishy faced glory. What I don’t like is dragging my toddler son around on an airplane and leaving our routines behind us. He doesn’t seem to mind all that much, running around our temporary digs saying, “Mama, baby, baby, baby!” Also, I hate to be away from my own husband and the ease at which we live our daily lives. One of those eases, is my PC. I’m using an iMac here and I can’t say I see what all the fuss is about. I mean, it’s nice, but I really don’t see why people get so crazy about them. To each their own, but I’ll be loving my return to PC and tablet glory upon my return.
I only had one recipe in the archives available to me to publish while I make a repertoire here in the desert. It’s not a glorious meal, but it can be if you use your culinary imagination. Any fillings in these delicious wraps, goes down with ease. Have fun with them, let your kids build their own. They’ve been a staple in my family for at least 15 years, and I don’t see that changing any time soon.
Soft Corn Taco Shells
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups fine ground cornmeal
1 tsp salt
4 cups water
1. In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
2. When ready, on a very hot, non stick skillet, pour in about 3/4 cup of the batter and spread it out in the pan by shaking it around so that it completely coats the bottom.
3. When the edges begin to turn up, shake the shell loose (you may need to use a spatula) and flip it with a flick of the wrist (or a flipper). Cook for 30 seconds or so on reverse side and toss into oven to keep warm. (layer paper towels between shells to avoid sticking).
4. Serve with desired fillings.
Taco filling suggestions:
- Ground beef seasoned with taco seasonings, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, avocado slices, salsa and sour cream.
- Cooked, cooled shrimp with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, avocado, salsa and sour cream.
- Ground chicken or turkey with taco seasonings, same fillings as beef.
- Rotisserie chicken, pulled apart and served with same fillings as beef.
- ground pork, seasoned with taco seasonings and served with same as beef.