Sometimes, like Friday night or on a busy Saturday evening, you just don’t want to have to cook too much. Maybe you had a big lunch out with friends, or you have a movie to get to in a hurry. Well, there are healthy, fresh, tasty meals just waiting to be made and they really don’t take too long at all.
I made these two salads for just such an occasion. Filling, satisfying and eaten with quickly broiled fish or other seafood, this would be a complete meal. The dressing is very versatile, you could really use it on anything. Play with the vinegars or even the herbs and you have yourself an entirely different dressing again!
I know I use entirely too much cilantro, but you either love it or hate it, and guess what? I love it.
Jicama Mango Salad
1 Large Jicama
1 Large Mango
1. Peel the Jicama and julienne.
2. Peel mango and cube flesh.
3. Mix together in large bowl. Add dressing and allow to sit for 30 minutes or so, before consuming.
Tomato, Cucumber, Avocado and Feta Salad
1 Large cucumber
1 Large avocado
1/2 cup feta cheese
1. Cube tomato, avocado and cucumber and add to large bowl.
2. Crumble feta over top, and mix to combine.
3. Add dressing to salad and serve immediately.
Honey Cilantro Basil Dressing
1/4 cup Rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
Juice of 1 Lime
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp + 1 tsp Honey
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup cilantro (loosely packed)
1/4 cup basil (loosely packed)
Salt & White pepper to taste
1. In small bowl, combine vinegars, Lime juice, Dijon & honey.
2. Drizzle olive oil into vinegar mix while whisking vigorously.
3. When all is combined, add in chopped herbs, salt and pepper. Allow to sit for an hour or more to allow flavours to meld and intensify.