I was feeling a little guilty yesterday. Like I ate too many cheesy bites at my hubby’s staff party on the weekend. Or maybe it was the gargantuan tart I ate the other night. Whatever the case, I needed to eat something a little more on the “healthy” side last night. Also, it was raining like nobody’s business all day and it kind of got me into one of those “Fall” moods. Don’t get me wrong though, I love Fall. Of all the seasons, I find Autumn to be my favourite. Colourful leaves, crisp scarf wearing weather, root vegetables, soups, you get the idea.
But since it’s still August and technically summer, I decided to make it somewhat summery. So how about roasted summer vegetables with egg noodles?
I do have to say, I was going to try my hand at making my own pasta, but sans pasta maker is a bit tough. I’ve added it to my “When I’m rich, I must buy…” list. Or, if you work at KitchenAid and really need a product tester, I’m your girl! Seriously, I’ll test anything you got.
Alright, enough shameless begging, on to the recipe!
Roasted Summer Vegetables with Egg Noodles
Serves 2 as a main meal
1 cup broccoli florets
1 large carrot, oblique cut
1 small eggplant, cubed
1 small yellow summer squash, cubed
1 tomato, cut into small wedges
1 Tbsp. veg oil (divided)
1/4 cup of fresh basil, oregano and thyme, chopped
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
salt & pepper to taste
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup pine nuts, roasted
1/4 cup of feta cheese, crumbled
2 cups (dry measure) broad noodles
chiffonade of basil, to toss at end
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss broccoli and carrots in 1 tsp. of veg oil, cumin and some salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 20 minutes. Be sure to watch to make sure nothing is burning, I like to toss it a few times while it’s in there.
2. Toss rest of vegetables in remaining oil, salt and pepper, garlic and herbs. Add to carrots and broccoli and roast for another 20-25 minutes.
3. In large pot, boil water with small amount of salt and oil. Add noodles and cook according to package directions. Al dente is best.
4. When veg and noodles are finished, throw in large pan (with a little butter) and sauté together with pine nuts and feta for a few minutes, just to quickly meld it all together.
5. Serve in bowls with small amount of fresh basil on top. Delicious!